Thursday, February 23, 2006

As I was going to St. Ives...

... I met a man with seven wives.
Every wife had seven sacks,
Every sack had seven cats,
Every cat had seven kittens.
Kittens, cats, sacks, wives,
How many were going to St. Ives?


Gakked from TRP:

"Scar Tissue" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Most of the RHCP lyrics are utter nonsense and thus should be ignored. But I can't get the following line out of my head these days: "I'll make it to the Moon if I have to crawl." The interplay between Flea and John Frusciante is simply beautiful.

"American Car" by Mike Doughty. I love Soul Coughing. I love Mike Doughty's solo work even more. His lyrics are some of the best poetry I've heard in a very long time. This track from his recent album "Haughty Melodic" is one of the best.

"Jesus of Suburbia" by Green Day. Good to know that punk isn't dead. And just to underscore that point, I saw a gaggle of kids outside my neighborhood high school wearing mohawks (each a different color), Misfits t-shirts, and Doc Martens.

"Back in Black" by AC/DC. One of the few things that get me going these days. Nothing like a main line shot of angry guitars!

"Sour Girl" by Stone Temple Pilots. My current ear worm. I seem to hear this melody everywhere I go...

"The Mark Has Been Made" by Nine Inch Nails. This is the music playing on the teaser ad for the upcoming season of HBO's "The Sopranos". It's one of my favorites from Mr. Reznor and company. Ever since Katrina, I've had a little NIN in my mental airplay since he's usually not mentioned in the conversation about New Orleans music. Even though you'd never put him on the bill of a zydeco show, I always hear a bit of the spirit of the Crescent City in his music. Yes, this is a dirge. But it's a dirge with a message: Do something!

"Into the Mystic" by Van Morrison. Just because.

No comments: