Gakked from TRP. (I just love that word, don't you?)
1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before?
Actively plan for a parent's demise.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make any next year?
I never make resolutions.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
More money and more responsibility at work.
7. What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
September 13, the day my Dad crashed and wound up in the ICU for over two weeks.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
The loss of 40 pounds of body weight.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not speaking to my Sister for over a month because of a simple misunderstanding.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Probably the Diet and Exercise Assistant I purchased for my Palm.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My beloved Wife, who supported me throughout this trying year.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
President George W. Bush, et al.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage and other assorted debt.
15. What did you get really excited about?
Baseball's return to D.C.!
16. What song will always remind you of 2005?
"The Man Comes Around" by Johnny Cash.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier.
ii. thinner or fatter? Thinner.
iii. richer or poorer? Richer.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Quietly, with family.
22. Did you fall in love in 2005?
Yes. With my Wife. Every day.
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
"Funeral" a great album by The Arcade Fire.
28. What did you want and get?
My Dad's recovery from a near-fatal infection.
29. What did you want and not get?
The opportunity to dye my hair blonde.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
"Good Night and Good Luck"
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 37 last year and I honestly can't remember what I did.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Dad being healthy!
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
Biz cash Fri.
34. What kept you sane?
My wife, bbq, and quiet time.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The appalling reaction of our government to the catastrophe on the Gulf Coast. Truly shameful.
37. Who did you miss?
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Although not a new person (we hired her in 2004), I got to know my coworker Susan* much better this year. I've found her to be quiet, yet thoughtful and very very funny. Not to mention wicked smart.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005.
Your health is nothing to be taken for granted.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"Well Mack the Finger said to Louie the King
I got forty red white and blue shoe strings
And a thousand telephones that don't ring
Do you know where I can get rid of these things
And Louie the King said let me think for a minute son
And he said yes I think it can be easily done
Just take everything down to Highway 61."
*Names have been changed to protect the innocent.