Monday, January 23, 2006

Notes and a Theory

A few observations and clarifications:


  • Note to Oddangel: Yes, the picture is from the Portland Japanese Gardens. Sweetie will never admit to being a good photographer, so allow me to state for the record that my wife rocks.

  • Dad saw his primary care physician last week who pronounced him in very good health considering all that he has been through in the past year. Needless to say, he has relaxed a bit as a result of that diagnosis. Dad has resumed his Saturday volunteering at the Kennedy Center, where he has been welcomed back with open arms and baked goods. And you know how we are on the baked goods!

  • We are averaging higher than normal temperatures this month (scroll down a bit). If you are reading this in the continental United States, then you can probably say the same thing. I'm going to ask a favor of anybody who doesn't believe in global warming: fill your automobile up with snow and/or ice and drive it to the D.C. area. Specifically to the sledding hill by my house on the grounds of Nottingham Elementary School. The kids are champing at the bit to sled and have been bitterly disappointed.

  • Every once in a while I get depressed about my job. Technical Writers are often at the caboose end of the IT train; this has been true for as long as I've been in the industry. Most days it doesn't bother me, but last week was such a dismal week that I seriously began rethinking my career options. I still harbor a burning desire to teach drama, but unless I hit the lottery that ain't happenin'. But I did stumble across this job listing. I sent a cover letter and a resume to them today. I'll keep you updated.

  • The Hirsute Quarterback Theory: Yesterday's NFL conference championship games were disappointing to say the least. I was hoping for some good defensive struggles and low-scoring games. No such luck. But it did remind me of an old theory I had about hirsute quarterbacks not performing well in big games. The Seahawks/Panthers game is an open and shut case:

    Shiny Happy HasselbackSad Hairy DelHomme














    Now the Broncos/Steelers game is a bit trickier, but still falls within the parameters:

    Scruffy Big BenJake the Snake eh?














    Someone really ought to tell Jake the Snake that the "mountain man" look is really bringing his team down (never mind that he appears to be chanelling the ghost of John Holmes!). Cleanshaven is definitely the way to go, just ask Matt Hasselback.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info! Now we can go and see the scene for ourselves in person.


And yeah, Matt is the man, isn't he? GO 'HAWKS!