Monday, June 20, 2005

The Sacred and the Profane


The Grandest Organ Ever
Originally uploaded by tommyspoon.
After TRP and I sat down in Verizon Hall to watch the Public Forum finals, I pointed to the grand display of organ pipes (pictured) and facetiously stated that this was the "Grandest Organ Ever". "No, it isn't," replied TRP, "it's in my pants!" Whereupon he broke into some mad-scientist type laugher. Yes, this did send me into a fit of HS-quality giggles. Why are you looking at me like that?

During the memorial service for my friend Ken Allison, we sang "Amazing Grace." Ever since my Mom's services four years ago, I have been unable to sing the third verse of that song without choking back tears:

Through many dangers, toils and snares
we have already come.
T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far
and Grace will lead us home.


It happened again Saturday, and I was extremely grateful that my Sweetie was there for support. These moments make me feel like a piece of onion skin: so thin and fragile. As painful as these moments can be, I cherish them all the same. I know that both Ken and my Mom would appreciate them as well.

No comments: