Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Things That Bother Me: A New Series

NOTE: The title should say it all. I stole the idea from a friend. No, I'm not telling you who. She prefers to remain anonymous. That's it. No more questions.

Common Courtesy #1

I've noticed this a lot on pundit shows and it is driving me slowly mad. 

OK, kids, pop quiz! How do you respond to someone when they say "Thank you"?

A. Thank you.

B. No, thank you.

C. My pleasure.

D. You're welcome.

E. None of the above.



Time's up! Pencils down!

Give up? Can't decide?

There are two correct answers: C and D

Never thank someone who is in the act of thanking you. I know that it sounds like a nice reciprocal gesture, but all you have done is negated their expression of gratitude. "No, thank you" is kind of like saying "Fuck you! My expression of gratitude is far more important than your expression of gratitude. In fact, it's so important that I am going to make sure I get the last word in this exchange."

I prefer to use "My pleasure" in more personal and/or intimate situations. "You're welcome" is always the most polite way to go.

3 comments:

Hugh said...

Ack! Guilty as charged. I used to be as Nazi as you on the subject, but then I found my self getting pulled back in like in the Godfather III.

tommyspoon said...

I just don't like rudeness. Now, I realize that this is unintentional rudeness for the most part, but it's still rude.

And I'd be lying if I said I never violated this rule myself a time or two...

lemming said...

I'm partial to "my pleasure" or even, dare I say it, "You're welcome."